Location: 100 Mathilda Pl, Sunnyvale, California, United States, 94086JOIN US AS A SR DATA SCIENTIST - NEXT GEN LAST-MILE SUPPLY CHAIN OPTIMIZATION Join Target's Last Mile and Operations Design team where your goal will be to accelerate omni-channel experimentation to foster a culture of continuous innovation at Target. We believe that continuous innovation is critical to delivering and exceeding our brand promise of "Expect More Pay Less" to Target's guests irrespective of their preferred channel of engagement and commerce. You will enable continuous innovation and drive business performance in our Target Last Mile Delivery space.A Sr Data Scientist role within Last Mile and Operations Design is a chance to help develop our in-house strength for getting the maximum value from Target's scale and data assets in service of improving the guest and carrier/courier experience. We see data as a product and an opportunity to experiment and refine our approach to new guest experiences. Together, we positively impact changes to various initiatives, processes and interdependencies that require exceptional data collection, measurement and analysis-ultimately leading to quicker and more meaningful decision-making. This is a role for someone passionate about data, feature experimentation, and impacting business strategy.As a Sr Data Scientist you will:
- Serve as an advocate of our data-driven culture across Product, Business Operations, and Engineering to help them utilize insights that'll direct their efforts towards initiatives with highest impacts
- Develop statistical models to drive efficient route optimization, providing metrics on model performance, and course adjustment
- Execute solutions to business problems using data analysis, data mining, forecasting, optimization tools, and machine learning techniques and statistics
- Analyze and explore data in our ecosystem, work with the product manager to design in-product experiments, analyze the results, and provide strategic recommendations.
- Synthesize analysis and results in compelling storylines and communicate to key stakeholders. You should have the ability to tell a story around the problem, the solution and the impact and value of implementing a solution
- Partner closely with our Product Managers and/or business partners to identify gaps in product offering by conducting comprehensive data analysis, and accelerating the analytics maturity (predictive & prescriptive) in key product areas
- Define data to be collected for measuring the success of new product features or business strategies, define KPIs, and work with engineering and across functional teams on tracking and instrumentation of data
- Strive for query optimization problems on large data sets that will be leveraged by operations research, business owners, and other stakeholders
- Design and build self-service dashboards using a mixture of analytical and visualization techniques to derive actionable insight from data to influences business decisions
- Democratize data and insights as you strive to deliver self-service tools to your partners and enable them to make better decisions quicker
- M.S. in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Bio Statistics, Operations Research and/or Computer Science
- 3+ years of experience deploying algorithms in a production environment
- 4+ years of experience using data science and technology approaches to solve real business problems
- Proficiency at scale with the following: SQL, Python, R, Hadoop, Spark, Hive, visualization software, etc.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to speak and write narratives to both business and technical teams as well as clearly translate ideas between them
- Comfort with ambiguity and open-ended problems
- Solid understanding of statistics and machine learning algorithms
- We Care, Grown and Win Together!
- We love open-source! Many of our team members contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects
- You'll work directly on the problems that have the most impact on Target's entire Recommendations/Personalization strategy for all Digital/Target.com products.
- We value diversity! We believe that diversity and inclusion are core importance when creating positive experiences for our guests and we think it's critically important when building our teams
- We value our team members, treating our team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, travelers, family members, community members and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules/work arrangements so they can flourish both in and outside of work
- Career development and our '50 days of Learning' mantra allow team member to learn from experts, publish, work on patents, grow new skillset as well as mentoring/volunteering