SourceNabors Corporate Services Inc
Automation Engineer-PLC DeveloperTexas, Houston, 77067 Houston USA
Are you seeking an opportunity to show your exceptional skills and knowledge? Are you looking for a company which provides you with dynamic and challenging work environment every single day? If yes, look no further. We are probing for individuals who are skilled, knowledgeable and are ready to work in a fast paced environment to deliver top notch solutions to cater business needs. Company Overview Nabors is a leading provider of advanced technology for the energy industry. With operations in about 20 countries, Nabors has established a global network of people, technology and equipment to deploy solutions that deliver safe, efficient and responsible hydrocarbon production. By leveraging its core competencies, particularly in drilling, engineering, automation, data science and manufacturing, Nabors aims to innovate the future of energy and enable the transition to a lower carbon world. Nabors is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. To learn more about our Fair Employment practices, please refer to theNabors Code of Conduct. Nabors Drilling Solutionsis an oil and gas service company and a division of Nabors Drilling Technologies USA, Inc. With offices in Alaska, North Dakota, North East, Wyoming, East/South/and West Texas, we are positioned to service both the North American and International marketplaces. Our workforce, like our technology, is rapidly expanding and looking for a qualified Automation Engineer. JOB RESPONSIBILITIES Nabors is seeking an Automation Engineer for the Controls & Automation platform team. The Automation Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of drilling rig control software and hardware. This position will be based in Houston, TX.
- Responsible for designing and developing rig control systems.
- Strong understanding of basic machine controls which includes induction motor control using AC Drives, MCCs, hydraulic/pneumatics and valve controls.
- Develop Control Software for machine control algorithms for PLC based systems. HMI design and implementation, instrumentation and sensor interface, data logging, and communication interfaces with other industrial processors like PLCs.
- Generate design documentation, bill of materials, network architectures, one line drawing and operations manuals.
- Technical consultant to business stakeholders, assist in gathering requirements from customers.
- Maintain product safety in all designs.
- Perform design prototyping, including field implementation and testing.
- Responsible for sustaining current rig applications and debugging / fixing issues that are reported in the field. This could be by answering calls and working with technicians, remotely connecting to rig system and troubleshooting, or by traveling to the rig site and working with rig personnel to fix the issue.
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering or related field.
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering environment, developing controls and automation software in Rockwell or Siemens systems.
- 2+ years in oil & gas drilling automation.
- Proficient in RSLogix5000, FT SE and other Rockwell tools.
- Strong understanding of industrial networking protocols like Ethernet/IP, Profibus, Modbus and OPC.
- Good understanding of AC drives (ABB, GE Converteam & Yaskawa).
- Some knowledge of other software programming languages like C, Python.
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
- Great interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience in the drilling industry is highly preferred.
- While this position is primarily based in a professional office environment, travel to yards and rigs is essential and required.
- Up to 25% travel.
- The position supports drilling rigs that work 24/7 and will routinely require phone availability outside regular work hours.