Salary$33,949 - $60,543 a year - Full-time, Part-time
SourceUS Department of Agriculture
- Provides on-site technical assistance and training to field personnel in installation of conservation practices: parallel terraces, ponds, waterways, irrigation systems, agricultural waste mgmt systems, grass-based rotations, pasture planting, etc.
- Performs construction inspections on simple and complex structures for conservation systems. Performs drafting and other graphical work on a computer-aided drafting system and maintains they system equipment and supplies.
- Determines the type, scope and intensity of field investigations and surveys needed. Directs collection of field data and assures adequacy of collected data.
- Designs and supervises the design of complete engineering practices and structures. Prepares job sheets and designs. Prepares as-built plans. Prepares engineering cost estimates and construction performance time estimates.
- Completes payment requests and referrals pertaining to work completed for cost sharing. Documents layout and construction in conservation assistance notes or job diary.
- Selects and applies standard methods of computation for quantities such as concrete, earth fill and excavation. Develops standard drawings on the CAD system.
- Determines engineering training needs for field office personnel and provides training on surveying and engineering equipment.
- Provides instruction in the use of the National Engineering Manual, the Engineering Field Handbook, Agricultural Waste Manual Field Handbook, State Technical Guide, and various technical releases and handbooks.
- Coordinates quality reviews of conservation practices and checks engineering work of field office personnel.
Job family (Series)
0802 Engineering Technical
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
- Must possess and maintain a valid state motor vehicle operator's license for the type of vehicle(s) operated to perform the duties of this position.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements at the time of referral including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.Specialized Experience to qualify for the GS-05 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include:
- performing assignments for drafting and surveying construction estimates;
- assignments that require knowledge of physical science, mathematics, aerospace, architecture, chemicals, electrical or mechanical systems, mining, petroleum, or nuclear systems;
- trade positions with substantial developmental, test, or design responsibilities such as: planner and estimator who analyzed designs for production purposes and/or instrument maker or model maker who performed design or development work on devices fabricated; OR
Substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience for the GS-5 level: successfully completed a full 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering, construction, or industrial technology; ORCombination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience, as described above, may be used to qualify for this position. This combination must have equipped you with the necessary knowledge and/or experience to successfully perform the duties of this position. Combinations of experience and education must total at least 100% as outlined in OPM Qualifications policy.Specialized Experience to qualify for the GS-06 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include:
- progressive assignments assisting in engineering surveying and investigations;
- preparing drawings using CADD and manual methods and processing and plotting data;
- working with landowners to determine suitable alternatives in solving resource problems.; OR
Substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience for the GS-6 level: one full year of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's in engineering, construction, or industrial technology; ORCombination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience, as described above, may be used to qualify for this position. This combination must have equipped you with the necessary knowledge and/or experience to successfully perform the duties of this position. Combinations of experience and education must total at least 100% as outlined in OPM Qualifications policy.Specialized Experience to qualify for the GS-07 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. examples of specialized experience include:
- performing a variety of assignments with direction from the engineer in charge or a senior technician including: performing material testing;
- compiling, computing, plotting, and checking a variety of data for projects that demonstrates knowledge in engineering surveying and investigation, and design practices and structures;
- using CADD to prepare sketches, drawings, diagrams and charts for excavation, embankment, structures, triangulation, profiles and traverses, etc., assisting field engineering staff in staking out work; OR
Substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience for the GS-7 level: one full year of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's in engineering, construction, or industrial technology; ORCombination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience, as described above, may be used to qualify for this position. This combination must have equipped you with the necessary knowledge and/or experience to successfully perform the duties of this position. Combinations of experience and education must total at least 100% as outlined in OPM Qualifications policy.Specialized Experience to qualify for the GS-08 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level or higher in Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as performing routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity with minimal supervision. Examples of specialized experience include:
- performing material testing; determining investigation, survey and site data needs to include working with landowners to determine suitable alternatives to solve natural resource problems;
- designing engineering practices and structures; compiling, computing, plotting and checking a wide variety of data for natural resource-related conservation projects (earthen dams, agriculture waste management systems, filter strips, water and sediment control basins, rock rip-rap, slope protection, etc.);
- using CADD and manual techniques prepare sketches, drawings, diagrams and charts for several phases of projects such as excavation, embankment, structures, triangulation, profiles and traverses, etc; and assisting field engineering staff in staking out work; OR
Substitution of education in lieu of specialized experience for the GS-8 level: two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or a master's degree in a discipline such as in engineering, construction, or industrial technology, ORCombination of Education and Experience: A combination of education and experience, as described above, may be used to qualify for this position. This combination must have equipped you with the necessary knowledge and/or experience to successfully perform the duties of this position. Combinations of experience and education must total at least 100% as outlined in OPM Qualifications policy.
For more information on the qualifications for this position, click here: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=GS-TECH-NOTE
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must submit a copy of your college transcripts or a list of college courses with credit hours, dates completed, and grades received to verify all education requirements (i.e. substitution of education and/or basic education requirement). If a relevant course is not clearly qualifying (e.g. special topic, seminar, research, thesis, obscure or misleading course title, etc.), please submit an official course syllabi and/or detailed course description from the university/college for that particular course to ensure you are properly evaluated. Please note that qualifications determinations are based solely on the information submitted for each particular vacancy announcement. You must document all requirements on every vacancy; we cannot use previous determinations as a basis for rating. All required information must be received by the closing date of this announcement, and non-submission of all required documents/documentation will result in non-consideration. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted. This information must be received by the closing date of this announcement. Non-submission of these documents will result in non-consideration.
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants must, therefore, only report attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation via this link. All education claimed by applicants will be verified accordingly. Important: If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. Click on this link for more information.
- Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), Reemployment Priority List (RPL), or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP): Visit the OPM website for information on how to apply as a CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP eligible. To exercise selection priority for this vacancy, CTAP/RPL/ICTAP candidates must meet the basic eligibility requirements and all selective factors. CTAP/ICTAP candidates will be manually reviewed to make "well qualified" determinations. "Well qualified" will be defined by applicants who meet over 80% of the duties associated with NRCS Standard Engineering Technician (Civil) PD.
- Promotion Potential: If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
- Physical Demands: Field work requires physical exertion such as long periods of standing, traversing steep slopes and rough construction sites, wading in streams and water bodies, crossing fences and gates, recurring bending and stooping, jumping across shallow ditches, walking in soft, muddy, and slippery conditions, and lifting and carrying equipment and samples that weigh up to 50 pounds.
- Work Environment: During field work, the employee is frequently exposed to adverse weather conditions. Protective gear and clothing such as a hard hat, boots, and gloves may be necessary during field visits and in the area of moving machinery. Exposure to noise levels common to construction sites with large earthmoving equipment can be expected. There will be exposure to disease carrying insects and irritating plants. Field work is performed on a regular and recurring basis.
PLEASE NOTE: In the interest of filling these positions as efficiently as possible, we are requiring the following:
- If called for an interview, applicants must be available to interview within 3 business days of being contacted.
- If a tentative job offer is extended, selectee will have 2 business days in which to accept or decline.
- It is the policy of the Government not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties that have arisen through no fault of the individual. See more information at: http://www.chcoc.gov/transmittals/TransmittalDetails.aspx?TransmittalID=6465
- Throughout the duration of this vacancy announcement, applications that are received will be referred to the selecting official every 30 days after the opening date. This announcement will close at the end of the open period or when a selection is made, whichever comes first.
- Selections made under this authority will be processed as new appointments to the civil service. Current civil service employees would therefore be given a new appointment to the civil service.
- Duty Location: Duty Locations will be determined upon selection.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.This is a Direct-Hire Authority position, all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications, to include any selective placement factor(s), if applicable, will be referred to the selecting official. Before a certificate is issued to the selecting official, the resume is reviewed to ensure that you meet all the qualification requirements. A rating will not be used; veteran's preference does not apply due to the existence of the Direct Hire authority for this position.
Note: If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may be found ineligible. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your application. Providing inaccurate information on Federal documents could be grounds for non-selection or disciplinary action up to including removal from the Federal service.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the "Apply" button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10675501
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, your system failure, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes:1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) other qualifications.
- If education is required or you are using education to qualify, you must submit a copy of your college transcripts. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application if it includes your name and the necessary course information; however, if you are selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entering on duty. Education must have been successfully obtained from an accredited school, college or university. If any education was completed at a foreign institute, you must submit with your application evidence that the institute was appropriately accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as equivalent to U.S. education standards. There are private organizations that specialize in this evaluation and a fee is normally associated with this service. For a list of private organizations that evaluate education, visit the NACES website. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
- If claiming veteran's preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions.If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.Veteran's preference must be verified prior to appointment.Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
- If claiming 10-point veteran's preference you must provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), plus the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans' preference visit FEDSHIREVETS
- Surplus or displaced employees eligible for CTAP, RPL, or ICTAP priority must provide: proof of eligibility (RIF separation notice, notice of proposed removal for declining a transfer of function or directed reassignment to another commuting area, notice of disability annuity termination), SF-50 documenting separation (as applicable), and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location with your application per 5 CFR 330.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The incumbent provides engineering assistance working with land owners, groups, and units of government to apply and maintain a variety of conservation practices in their area of assigned responsibility.Direct Hire Authority: These positions are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Direct-Hire Authority for this occupation.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Applications will be accepted from any U.S. citizen. Direct Hire Authority will be used to fill this position. Veterans Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants does not apply to this vacancy.