Promega is an international bio-tech company with over 4000 high quality products that have been supporting science for over 40 years. We support scientists researching life and disease, pharma companies developing new treatments, forensic labs matching DNA from crime scenes and clinical labs running and confirming health tests - and that’s just the beginning. And yes, we have been extremely busy providing our technologies to support COVID-19 testing and research.
We strive to create an open, inviting and inclusive culture – we care about you as a person, not just a team member. We embrace the principles of emotional and social intelligence – which helps our employees improve relationships, manage stress and enhance connections. Establishing and maintaining relationships is part of the foundation of our culture - teams are more like family than co-workers.
Our campus speaks volumes. Headquartered in Madison, employees work in and around a campus with multiple buildings that are integrated into a natural setting with trails, ponds, woods and a restored prairie. Sustainability is important – we invest in energy efficiency and use renewable energy. Our culinary team offers top notch food to employees – including an onsite garden to supply fresh produce. Check out our campus through this map, and learn more about our people and sustainable practices.
The Promega Component Manufacturing Center team consists of innovative professionals with diverse skillsets who work together to achieve our goal to safely manufacture high-quality small molecules that are used in Promega’s Life Science products to improve lives around the globe. To achieve this goal, we build strong relationships, collaborate openly, and embrace an attitude of “How can we do this the right way?” when we face challenges. We believe that to succeed as a team we need to create a space of optimistic learning and shared belonging, leveraging each other’s strengths and celebrating our differences. We are looking to build our team with members who share these values and who are inspired to take on the new opportunities that inevitably await!
As our Chemistry Manufacturing Manager, you will lead a team of production scientists in the planning, development, optimization, and implementation of chemistry manufacturing methods and processes for existing and new products. You will collaborate with chemists and engineers during the startup, commissioning, qualification and ongoing operation of our new 170,000 sf facility.
We are seeking a Chemist or Chemical Engineer with 8+ years of experience in production and process optimization in a small molecule pharmaceutical or fine chemical manufacturing environment. An ideal candidate would have strong plant experience in chemical manufacturing operations and equipment across a broad range of scales.
JOB OBJECTIVE: Leads a team of production scientists in the planning, development, optimization, and implementation of chemistry manufacturing methods and processes for existing and new products for area of responsibility.ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
1. Develop plans, priorities and systems to efficiently and effectively utilize all resources (equipment and personnel) in functional area to meet production schedules, product standards and operational costs. Ensure that manufacturing capability is adequate to meet existing and anticipated needs.
2. Meet objectives for inventory due dates.
3. In conjunction with Technology Transfer, plan and implement process improvement activities to increase production efficiency, improve safety, reduce cost of production, and maintain product quality.
4. Identify and meet customer expectations for quality and performance of products.
5. Implement most appropriate production technologies and quality assurance techniques for manufacturing of products in area of responsibility.
6. Establish appropriate quality, safety, and housekeeping standards in all areas of responsibility.
7. Ensure that production planning process is efficient and effective in meeting production schedules.
8. Conduct performance reviews, career development, salary reviews and personal development plans for employees; review needs and provide training opportunities for staff to develop personal job-related skills and to improve operational flexibility to meet strategic needs.
9. Participate in strategic planning, budgeting and operations planning within area of responsibility.
10. Maintain ongoing analysis of key issues, goals and metrics to provide regular updates to manager and business areas as needed.
11. Maintain effective interdepartmental communication and timely follow-up to assure that all manufacturing and corporate objectives are met.
12. Act as a manufacturing representative on new product teams and in operational meetings for existing products. Provide information to team concerning all aspects of the production and QC process. Provide logistical support as needed for launching new products.
13. Coordinate with Finance and Accounting and Materials Management to ensure timely flow of information on costs of goods manufactured, raw material purchasing requirements, and budget analysis.
14. Understand and comply with ethical, legal and regulatory requirements applicable to our business.OCCASIONAL DUTIES:
1. Assist with drafting, editing and review of manufacturing protocols and SOPs as needed.
2. Provide assistance in identification, user requirement definition and justification of process equipment as required for transfer or customs programs.MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS:
1. B.S. in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related discipline.
2. 8+ years of experience in production and process/systems optimization in a fine chemical, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology manufacturing environment, including a minimum of five years of experience in managing a large, diverse staff.
3. Working knowledge and experience in chemical manufacturing techniques and equipment across a broad range of scales.
4. Minimum five years of project management experience in a technical area within a cross-functional team environment.
5. Strong safety mindset. Outstanding critical thinking and troubleshooting skills.
6. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively while being approachable, thoughtful, and diplomatic.
7. Demonstrated ability to relate to and interact with a large group of people with diverse needs and goals. Successful in implementing ideas and influencing people in a team environment.
8. Demonstrated record of improving manufacturing processes in a multiproduct manufacturing environment.
9. Experience in planning for resource and equipment to meet manufacturing needs.PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. M.S. or Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
2. Strong organizational and communication skills and a demonstrated ability and desire to share experience and knowledge with staff.
3. Excellent business management understanding.
4. Experience in a regulated industry and familiarity with ISO 9000, 13485 and/or cGMPs.
5. Knowledge of green chemistry processes.
6. Understanding of material planning processes and best practices.
7. Experience using SAP in a manufacturing environment.
8. Strong history of effective process development.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
1. Ability to move about the building, labs and offices while performing the tasks described above.
2. Ability to use computers in an interactive manner for extended periods of time.
3. Ability to lift 50 pounds occasionally.
4. Ability to use standard laboratory protective equipment (e.g. safety glasses, lab coat, protective gloves).
5. Ability to travel within the US and internationally as required (less than 10%).
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.