SalaryUSD $120k - 148k per year 120k - 148k per year
The Spacecraft Systems Chief Engineer will be a Director level role and act as the technical leader in the company that is developing our lander spacecraft bus. The Spacecraft Systems Chief Engineer includes leading the rapid and iterative analysis, design, integration, test, and enhancement of the lunar lander. This is a multi-disciplinary technical leadership role overseeing the design and testing of all spacecraft systems including Mechanical, Electrical, Communications, Flight Control, Command & Data Handling, and Flight Software. Working closely with the Mechanical, Electrical, RF, Software, and Systems teams at the company, you will ensure that the attitude control, thermal, power, and structural analyses performed are adequate to meet mission objectives. In addition to design, you will also be responsible for ensuring adequate integration and functional/performance/environment testing is performed on critical hardware systems such as spacecraft mechanical, structural, and electrical subsystems.The perfect candidate for Spacecraft Systems Chief Engineer role will have significant previous experience designing, building, and testing medium-size spacecraft and particularly on rapid timelines. Furthermore, the ideal candidate will also have had experience in technical leadership roles building, managing, and motivating teams of spacecraft engineers who build satellites. If you enjoy the challenge of wearing many hats, excel working in a rapid technology development environment, and have a track record of creative thinking to solve unconventional problems, then we look forward to meeting you!
- Develop system level architectures, conceptual designs, hardware/software products for demonstration, and performance assessments for new solutions.
- Develop solutions to complex system and system of systems challenges often involving multiple subsystem interactions
- Lead system design decisions involving trade studies, requirements allocation, and verification methods Analyze system performance and associated risk assessments in simulation, hardware subsystem test, and flight test environments
- Engage across engineering disciplines to ensure proper system development and program execution
- Coordinate with suppliers to resolve technical issues, manage statements of work, and mitigate risks
- Responsible for providing guidance, coaching / mentoring, and training to engineering staff across the enterprise
- Act independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of operational programs across product lines.
- Experience as the technical lead designing, developing, building, and testing many spacecraft - particularly medium-size satellites and in rapid work environments.
- 10 years of experience designing, integrating, and testing spacecraft subsystems including practical experience in one or more of the following: avionics/electronics, control systems, communications systems, power systems, mechanical systems, thermal analysis, or integration and testing of spacecraft systems.
- Experience with space payload design and integration.
- Working knowledge of spacecraft operations and related ground systems.
- Proficient using various analysis engineering tools such as Solidworks, Altium, or MATLAB.
- Programming proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g. MATLAB, Python, Julia, etc)
- Must be able to quickly develop subject matter expertise in a specific project.
- Demonstrated technical lead and/or project management experience.
- ship required
- Experience with manufacturing and fabrication methods/tools.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Some travel will be required.