SalaryUSD TBD TBD
Scientific Computing and Bioinformatics Support SpecialistGeorgia, Atlanta, 30330 Atlanta USA
DescriptionJob Description:Leidos is looking for a Scientific Computing and Bioinformatics Support Specialist to join our Public Health Division in Atlanta, GA in support of the Centers for Disease control & Prevention.This project team provides support to the CDC scientific community in High Performance Computing (HPC) and Bioinformatics support. The scope includes the maintenance of several HPC clusters with multiple petabyte of genome data, migration to a hybrid cloud environment, support of numerous scientific applications, and training to the CDC scientists in support of their bioinformatics related scientific researches.This position requires either experience with HPC (as applied to life science computing) or bioinformatics analysis and development. The selected candidate will triage support requests, provide individualized consultation, and deliver training on the use of scientific computing systems/applications, bioinformatics analysis problems, and bioinformatics service requests. It is important to be proactive in tracking outstanding issues to a successful resolution, analyzing trends of reported issues, and escalating/collaborating issues to the appropriate experts on the team. Experience with bioinformatics tools and scientific computing systems, HPC systems; Linux; scripting languages and bioinformatics applications are essential.Responsibilities and Job Functions:
- Provide front line support and technical assistance for support requests and issues related to scientific computing software and hardware systems; bioinformatics analysis tools; and general pipeline support.
- Investigate the nature of user problems through efficient and effective user engagement (Q&A) via appropriate communication channels (e.g. email, IM, or phone call)
- Triage and prioritize technical support issues, including escalation of tickets to engineers, technicians, and scientists as required
- Liaise between business and technical users, acting as a front-line interface between the technical team and the user community.
- Perform routine system administration tasks such as performing functions like password resets, creating user accounts, and triaging systems administration issues
- Troubleshoot bioinformatics users scripts and codes
- Follow up on support issues to ensure user satisfactorily
- Maintain and upgrade open source bioinformatics software to keep the environment up to date with current releases
- Maintain daily, weekly, and monthly metrics of help desk system usage and provide inputs for customer reports.
- Keep knowledge bases current through updates to Wikis, InfoSites, User forums, and application, program, or system-specific user documentation
- Assist with defining and documenting requirements for scientific business processes, systems, and applications.
- Assist with scheduling, development, and delivery of courseware for the various training programs
- Bachelor or Master in bioinformatics, computational biology, chemistry, computer science or related discipline
- 1-2 year relevant experience in bioinformatics analysis or scientific computing
- Experience with scripting languages such as R, bash, Perl, Python, or R Shiny
- Experience with one or more variation of Linux Operating Systems (e.g. Ubuntu, RedHat, CentOS). Knowledge with Linux command line
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of bioinformatics applications and analysis, particularly as it pertains to analysis of genomics data, including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms
- Experience operating next generation scientific instruments (e.g. Oxford Nanopore, Minions, Illumina)
- Knowledge in monitoring operations and troubleshooting issues in a scientific computing environment
- Experience in a customer support function, ideally in a user facing position
- Experience developing and delivering training content in live or recorded sessions
- Previous experience working at CDC or another federal agency
Tier 2 Systems Support Specialist