SalaryUSD TBD TBD
DescriptionJob Description:Leidos Public Health Division is seeking a number of Bioinformatics Scientists to support public health projects. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis including development and application of quality control, assembly, functional annotation, sequence alignment, variant detection, and phylogenetic analyses of viral, bacterial, fungal and protist genomes, transcriptomes and metagenomes. Position open to telecommuters, preferred location - Atlanta, GA.Responsibilities Collaborate and provide bioinformatics support to researchers in the identification and implementation of new techniques and technologies for advanced analysis of complex molecular biology data.Adapt bioinformatics algorithms and workflows in high-performance computing environments; including cloud and hybrid-cloud execution environments. Competency writing customs scripts and software to perform bioinformatics analysis using Python, Perl, R and/or Java.Perform bioinformatics analysis using open-source bioinformatics tools as well as licensed proprietary software such as CLC Genomics Workbench and Geneious. Support modeling and simulation of evolutionary and population biological process using Bayesian inference and/or genetic algorithms.Use statistical analysis tools, interpret and communicate results.Use tools for visualizing complex biological datasets and able to interpret and communicate results as well as uncertainty to a diverse group of customers.Assist in development and maintenance of highly curated genomic sequence databases, signature databases for virulence and AMR markers, strain type and pathogen type markers.Provide guidance and support in scaled data analysis and management of next generation metagenomic sequencing data.Assist with developing standard operating procedures for bioinformatics analyses.Support and maintain relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL) as well as NoSQL databases (MongoDB).Supports researchers in creating and submitting publication and poster presentations.Communicate progress orally and in writing with our scientific community stakeholdersAssist with preparation of reports, presentations and papers for publication in scientific journals, conferences and meetingsProvide leadership and mentorship to the bioinformatics and data science team as well as our scientific community and interns.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- A PhD or master's degree in bioinformatics, genomics, molecular biology, genetics or related field;
- 3+ years of bioinformatics experience
- Experience with processing of high-throughput data and possessing strong data management and analysis skills.
- Experience working in Linux environments and broad experience with open source bioinformatics tools
- Proficient coding/scripting in Python, R, Perl
- Experience working in a high-performance computing and/or cloud computing environment
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to obtain NACI clearance
- 5-10 years of bioinformatics experience
- Experience in designing and conducting training workshops to the bioinformatics community on latest bioinformatics methods and concepts.
- Experience with machine learning approaches
- Experience working with Agave and/or Nextflow
- Experience in one or more of the following phylogenetic analysis and visualization tools is highly desirable: BEAST, FastTree, RaxML, TreeTime, NextStrain, Microreact