JOB SCOPEThe Video Support Center (VSC) is a fast-paced 24x7 break/fix team that remotely supports all video transport and devices belonging to Charter Video Operations. This team operates on the front lines for national and regional video device support for the entire Charter footprint as part of a team of engineers dedicated to resolving and mitigating issues with video throughout the entire nation.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for restoration of video and operational issues escalated from the Network Operation Centers, troubleshooting and providing technical mitigations to operational problems.
- Intermediate configuration and support of advanced video equipment such as SDV/VOD, interactive cable set-top box controllers, multiplexers, MPEG transport, edge QAMs.
- Create and maintain technical documentation of processes and procedures used throughout normal video operations.
- Interact with vendors and internal Charter engineering teams to mitigate and resolve issues quickly.
- Track and update progress and details in trouble ticketing system while troubleshooting and performing fix actions
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to quickly mitigate issues and restore the customer's services.
- Develop problem resolution procedures required to meet serviceability requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Video Engineering, Networking or related field, and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of three (3) years video or network engineering work experience
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in maintaining and troubleshooting video delivery or video applications, networks or systems
- Minimum two (2) years of experience with internal/external technical support in a video technical environment (Headend, Network, Telecom, or Operations background)
- Must be open to shift/overnight work
- Ability to work on remote video equipment and to take initiative to learn multiple video systems, devices and architectures in in a faced paced, quick restoration focused environment.
- Understanding of MSO video network architecture, data networking, system operations, and HFC cable systems are required.
- Basic to intermediate experience or knowledge of interactive set top controller systems such as Arris/Commscope DACs and Synamedia/Cisco DNCS/ECs and their components, Channel lineup systems, Switched Digital Video (SDV) technologies and Video on Demand (VOD).
- Operational experience with building, grooming, and troubleshooting various linear and NextGen/OTT/TVE multiplexing, encoding and transcoding platforms such as Harmonic, Imagine, Ateme and MediaKind.
- Intermediate understanding and experience with Video acquisition, transcoding/encoding, multiplexing, and modulation platforms such as Cisco DCMs, Arris CAPs, DM6400 Cherry Pickers, Harmonic ProStream, MediaKind, Imagine etc.
- Basic or intermediate experience with MPEG monitoring such as IQ, Telestream Sentry, or MTSAs
- Basic or intermediate experience with Edge QAMs such as APEX1k-3k, NSGs.
- Understanding of Content Delivery Networks (CDN) along with the applicable support and delivery methods over IP involving Live & Smooth Streaming technologies such as HLS, DASH.
- One or more of the following certifications or similar preferred: SCTE BTCS, SCTE Fundamentals of SDV, Digital Video and MPEG, DVEP, IPEP or CCNA a plus.
- Linix or Red Hat certification or experience a plus
- Experience with IP multicast video in cable Headends, Hubs, industry vendors' a plus
- Experience in technical troubleshooting and problem solving
Senior Video Support Engineer