Salary$15.30/hour, mileage reimbursement, matching retirement plan, medical benefits available
Agricultural Assistant - Fruit/Nut/Vegetable InspectorCalifornia, Chico, 95926 Chico USA
APPLY HERE: https://recruit.hirebridge.com/jobseeker2/viewdetail.asp?joblistid=550907&come=&page=1&logo=yes&s=&acceptShift=0&cid=6545
POSITION TITLE: Agricultural Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Inspection and Compliance
LOCATION: CHICO, CA
REPORTS TO: District Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Temporary, Non-Exempt
COMPENSATION: $15.30 Hr. Pay Rate
The Cooperative Agricultural Support Services (CASS) is a Joint Powers Authority that was originally formed as a partnership between the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) and the Counties of Yolo and Trinity. Since then CASS’ services have expanded throughout California to support the agricultural industry and the consumers of its products by providing human resources and administrative support services. CASS’ program activities include agricultural inspection, pest prevention and other programs administered by CDFA, county agricultural commissioners, and other public agencies. Our current work includes:
Agricultural Commodity Grading Program
Grading using County, State and Federal standards
Emergency Pest Detection Trapping and Survey program
Professional Develop and Educational Training
We are seeking enthusiastic Agricultural Assistant – Commodity Inspectors to join our Inspection and Compliance Department. This position reports directly to the District Supervisor.
Under the supervision of a CASS District Supervisor, and with technical direction by the federal and state, CASS employees grade agricultural products for growers, shippers, packers, and processors throughout California.
The Agricultural Assistant Commodity Inspectors participate in carrying out the less complex and more routine inspection activities while conforming to federal, state, county, and CASS policies in carrying out work activities. The Agricultural Assistant will typically carry out the more routine commodity inspection activities and have a limited number of commodities that they are qualified to inspect.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Select and Evaluate Samples of Various Commodities
o Grading, sorting, counting, and sampling work in connection with agricultural commodities.
· Prepare samples for titration (sugar/acid ratio) testing and pressure testing to determine degree of ripeness.
o Ripe or ripeness indicates readiness or fitness for use (Condition factor).
· Examine the quality, size and/or condition of selected samples using state, federal or industry standards and language. Language to understand include, but not limited to:
o Damage – “Serious and Very Serious”
o Insect damage
o Healed cuts
· Accurately and carefully maintain daily reports of work including, but not limited to:
o Inspection Field Notes
o Inspection Certificates
o Inspector’s Daily Report
· Ensure provided equipment is available, in working order, and always secured.
· Participate in safety and commodity inspection training as required.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
· High School Diploma or GED Required
· Demonstrate the basic knowledge of the following:
o Employee conduct/misconduct/bribery/procedures.
o Federal/State/Industry relations Licensee responsibilities/authority.
o Proper use of inspection equipment.
o Sampling procedures: Harvesting, packing, and/or processing methods.
o Product grading for size, quality, and condition defects.
o Application of tolerances in the applicable standard.
o Note sheet and certificate preparation.
o and Certificate accountability and distribution.
· The incumbent must be available to travel throughout the state as required.
o Lodging, hotel, meals per diem, and travel time compensation available.
· Demonstrate tactfulness, a good cooperative attitude, the ability to make sound judgements based on facts, and basic knowledge of product being inspected.
· Must demonstrate the ability to interpret, understand, and conform to written and oral instructions; and contact appropriate supervision for assistance, and/or guidance in performing the duties of their positions.
· Attendance, punctuality, and dependability are essential to the proper operation of CASS’s program. If unable to report for work on time or as scheduled, the incumbent must call a supervisor or lead person at least one hour before scheduled starting time. This allows for supervision to provide a replacement to cover the incumbent’s work shift. If delayed, for any reason, while traveling to report to work, ensure a supervisor or lead is contacted immediately, in order that management may assign a replacement to minimize a lapse in shift coverage.
· Self-Starter and proactive
· Excellent Oral and Written Communication skills
· Excellent Time Management and Organizational skills
· Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle conflict in a tactful and professional manner
Assumes responsibility for doing assigned work and meeting deadlines.
Demonstrates an awareness of and sensitivity to clients including cultural and ethical beliefs; and implements care in a thorough, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
Attends work regularly and adheres to policies and procedures regarding absences and tardiness. Provides adequate notice to supervisor with respect to time-off requests.
Performs other duties, as necessary.
· Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others, and acts as a resource to team members and clients where appropriate.
· Tactfully handles conflicts constructively and seeks appropriate assistance and directive when necessary.
· Develops and maintains cooperative and courteous relationships with co-workers, supervisor, and agency clients.
$15.03 Hr. Pay Rate
Benefits package including medical benefits, matching retirement contributions, and annual and holiday leave.
Travel and mileage reimbursement and advances provided.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws.
The incumbent in this position will be required, with or without reasonable accommodation, to stand and walk constantly; Must be able to lift 30 pounds on a very frequent basis and up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis; Use repetitive arm and wrist motions; bend, stoop, twist, reach; and, maintain visual acuity a as well as possess normal color vision to differentiate color correctly. Drive, and enter and exit the vehicle numerous times throughout the workday.
Duties for the job are performed inside or outside of buildings. Weather, temperature, lighting, and noise levels may constantly vary. Terrain may vary from smooth and stable to irregular and unstable. The incumbent may continually work with or around machinery or motorized equipment, work in a noisy environment and be exposed to dust, pollen, moisture, and temperature extremes. Driving a vehicle, as well as entering and exiting the vehicle numerous times throughout the workday, is required